Weather and Match Cancellations
1. Our matches are held on the 3rd Saturday of each month. Sign-in starts at 8:30, mandatory Safety Meeting at 9:30. First rounds down-range shortly after.
2. During the summer months we generally get everything started about 30 minutes earlier.
3. Occasionally, Mother Nature makes this challenging with cold, excessive heat, rain, wind, flooding hurricanes, thunder storms etc. occurring during the same time.
4. If, in event of inclement weather (bad weather for you folks in Rio Linda), we will send out a notice of a match cancellation by 8 p.m. the evening prior to our scheduled match.
5. If you are unsure of impending weather conditions, please contact Rollin White by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cowboy Policy/Clothing & Costumes
1. We play a sporting game founded in recreating the history of the old west and we place a great emphasis on costuming that creates the atmosphere of the frontier setting.
2. All participants must be in costume to participate in our shooting events per SASS requirements.
3. During the summer months here in South Carolina, range temperatures can reach 100 degrees and therefore, during the months of July and August we relax our dress code to allow shorts, T shirts and short sleeved shirts. We do ask that any printed T shirts reflect a Cowboy theme.
WILD BUNCH OPTIONS FOR
HURRICANE RIDERS SASS MATCH
1. TRADITIONAL – PARTICIPANTS MAY SHOOT THE MATCH STAGES EXACTLY AS WRITTEN FOR THE STANDARD COWBOY MATCH WITH TWO 5 ROUND MAGAZINES FOR THE PISTOL TARGET, 10 ROUNDS IN RIFLE AND MODEL 97 OR MODEL 12 PUMP SHOTGUN WITH 4 OR 6 ROUNDS AS STAGE IS WRITTEN.
2. TRADITIONAL MODIFIED – PARTICIPANTS MAY SHOOT THE MATCH EXACTLY AS WRITTEN FOR THE STANDARD COWBOY MATCH, EXCEPT THAT THEY WILL HAVE THE OPTION TO SHOOT TWO 5 ROUND MAGAZINES FOR THE PISTOL TARGETS AND TWO 5 ROUND MAGAZINES AT THE RIFLE TARGETS AND THEN MODEL 97 OR MODEL 12 PUMP SHOTGUN WITH 4 OR 6 ROUNDS PRELOADED AS STAGE IS WRITTEN.
3. NEW SHOOTER OPTION – PARTICIPANTS MAY SHOOT THE MATCH AS WRITTEN WITH ANY SEMI-AUTO PISTOL IN .22 LONG RIFLE, 9MM, 38 SUPER OR 45 ACP AND ANY PUMP ACTION OR SEMI-AUTO SHOTGUN. OPTICAL SIGHTS ARE ALLOWED. JUST AS IN TRADITIONAL MODIFIED ABOVE THEY WILL SHOOT TWO 5 ROUND MAGAZINES AT THE PISTOL TARGETS, TWO 5 ROUND MAGAZINES AT THE RIFLE TARGETS AND THEN 4 OR 6 SHOTGUN ROUNDS IN 12 OR 20 GAUGE AS STAGE IS WRITTEN.
1. RIFLE/PISTOL CARTRIGES MUST HAVE LEAD BULLETS (POLYMER COATED, POWDER COATED OR MOLY COATED OK); NO JACKETED, SEMI-JACKETED, HOLLOW POINT OR GAS CHECKED BULLETS.
2. .22 LONG RIFLE AMMUNITION MUST BE “STANDARD VELOCITY”.
3. MAXIMUM VELOCITY 1000 FPS PISTOL AND 1400 FPS RIFLE.
4. SHOTGUN: LEAD SHOT NO LARGER THAN 7.5 AND NO MAGNUM OR HIGH VELOCITY SHELLS.
5. IF SHOOTING A SEMI-AUTO FOR RIFLE STRINGS THAT CALL FOR A RELOAD, SHOOTER CAN ACCOMPLISH THIS SAFELY BY PRELOADING AN EXTRA MAGAZINE WITH A SINGLE ROUND (BARNEY BULLET).
A long audio explaining what CAS is all about.
Getting Started in Cowboy Action Shooting
GUNS Magazine Podcast #96